| Hattie's first solid food experience. 4 months old. Very runny rice cereal. |
I have been reading many articles lately about babies and nutrition, and I really want to get Hattie started on the right path with food and nourishment. I am a very strong believer in breastfeeding, and that was a big desire of mine when Hattie was an infant. Breastfeeding is the perfect food for your baby and it provides an incredible bonding experience with your child. With that said, it is also one of the hardes things I've ever done in my life, it can be an emotional and physical challenge, and like all of the books say, it is a learned process for momma and baby. Hattie breastfed for about 8 1/2 months, then she was done. I tried exclusively pumping and feeding her with a bottle for about 2 weeks, then my body told me I was done. We put Hattie on formula, which I hated to do and thought I was being a terrible mommy for not providing the best milk for my baby anymore, but it turns out that at the time, that was what was best for her. She takes 6oz of formula in the morning and 6 oz at bedtime. She never did want an afternoon bottle, so we struggled with that for a few weeks and then our pediatrician told us not to worry as long as she gets her calcium from other sources (cheese, yougurt).
Hattie is such a good eater now, she loves big people food and feeding herself. Meal times are her favorite times of the day. She learned how to drink out of a sippy cup in about 1 week, and loves to drink her water. I only give her water in her cup because I want her to like water and develop a habbit of drinking it. My goal every day with her is to make sure she gets all of her food groups. She is supposed to have 1 ounce of grains, 1/2 cup of veggies, 1/2 cup of fruits and 1 ounce of meats or beans, and 3 servings of dairy.
| Mmmm eggs! (she gagged a bit at first, but then she was good) |
For breakfast she has cherrios (grain), oatmeal (grain), fruit, and water. Lunch is yogurt (dairy), veggie, and crackers or puffs, and water. Dinner is veggie, mixed cereal (grain), chicken or beeft (little bite size chunks she can gum), and a slice of mozzerella cheese, and water.
We've introduced mini club crackers, ritz crackers, whole wheat toast, whole wheat bagels, whole grain cherrios, fresh mango, avacado, guacamole, refried beans, pot roast, carrots, grean beens, mac and cheese, cooked potatoes, blueberry puree, scrambled egg yolk. We've tried to stay away from sweets and juices for right now.
We've introduced mini club crackers, ritz crackers, whole wheat toast, whole wheat bagels, whole grain cherrios, fresh mango, avacado, guacamole, refried beans, pot roast, carrots, grean beens, mac and cheese, cooked potatoes, blueberry puree, scrambled egg yolk. We've tried to stay away from sweets and juices for right now.
No comments:
Post a Comment